Thai Basil Chicken
Recipe By: Megan
Recipe type: Dinner
- 1½ cups jasmine rice
- 1 15oz can coconut milk (reserve 2 tablespoons)
- 1 cup packed fresh thai basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons thai fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons chinese chili garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the rice according to package directions. When soft and cooked, stir in the reserved 2 tablespoons of coconut milk.
- While the rice is cooking, combine the fish sauce, thai basil and chili garlic sauce in a food processor and pulse until about the consistency of a pesto. Add the remaining coconut milk and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the sesame oil and then the garlic. Once the garlic is fragrant, add the onion, cook until starting to brown a little. Add the chicken and cook just until there is no pink.
- Next add the bell peppers (if I was adding the zucchini and carrots I mentioned above I would add them here) and cook until just tender.
- Add the coconut milk mixture and bring to a gentle simmer for a couple minute to blend all those delicious flavors.
- Serve the chicken mixture over the rice.