I told you all a few weeks ago now that I’ve been trying to be better about what I’m eating.
No more chocolates every afternoon while I sit in my room during the kids naps.
I started out avoiding just wheat, and I think taking things away from myself gradually has been good.
Makes it not so scary.
But now (after much research) I have decided to remove most things that raises my insulin levels unless I have worked out. This means sugar and grains (not, however, fruit! Although I try to choose wisely). I do eat these kinds of carbs still but only if I have worked out which is most days so even that isn’t too horrible 🙂
But I have been missing bread.
Soft, spongy, delicious bread.
Well some of you who have known me for a while know I follow ZuzkaLight.com for at home workouts. I have been for years.
Her workouts are short and crazy intense which makes them perfect for busy people. She also doesn’t use much equipment and keeps the cost to join way low. Like $10 a month low.
Since I have been cross training between her workouts and running, my running is much improved with faster and further distances.
It’s good stuff.
She also posts a lot of recipes on her site and I have tried quite a few over the years all of which have been fabulous and, of course, healthy. I love that she approaches diet in real life terms, let’s not feel like we are limiting ourselves.
I was perusing her site for recipes cause this whole grain free thing is new to me so I need help and I found lots of really yummy recipes – seriously go check it out. They are so easy to make – I whipped up this bread and some cheese crackers in less than 10 minutes. So easy.
You would never know this is a grain free bread. It is spongy and moist – I am seriously dying over it plus!!! It’s what Zuzka refers to as a ‘free meal’. Meaning you don’t have to earn it through a workout because it doesn’t have carbs in it.
You can just like binge on it. I mean it is made from nuts so perhaps eating entire loaf in one sitting could be bad ;b but I sure have been gobbling it down.
For more recipes and awesome workouts check out ZuzkaLight.com make this bread and let me know what you think!
- ¾ cup walnut butter (you can easily make this by putting about 1½ cups of walnuts into your food processor and blending, I had to add about a tablespoon of olive oil to get it to be smooth and it does take a couple minutes so let it run)
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup Almond flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon ground flax meal
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Butter a 9x13 bread pan and coat with almond meal, set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the walnut butter with the eggs and stir until smooth.
- In another small mixing bowl combine the almond flour, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt and flax.
- Sprinkle the dry ingredients into the wet and stir to combine.
- Dump the mixture (don't forget to scrape the bowl!) into the prepared bread pan and bake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for about 40 minutes before you try to remove it.