Goodness sakes I just can’t keep up with my posting can I? Oh well… Here I am, finally getting to it.
Anyhoooo……I made this like 3 weeks ago, took me forever to get around to photograph it because you what? I don’t like photographing tacos. Is that weird? I don’t know why, but I just don’t like it. I do love eating them though! So I really wanted to get this recipe up for you because it was REALLY yummy.
You can do this at camp in your dutch oven or at home in the crockpot and then just reheat it while camping. Whatever floats your boat. Both ways are super easy and taste amazing.
This is my sister-in-law’s, Amanda, recipe and she is an amazing cook and really needs to start her own blog (hint hint!) of the delicious gluten free recipes that she makes but since she hasn’t, I like to share her recipes when I get my hands on them.
- 2 - 3lb pork roast
- 1 - 16oz jar of your favorite salsa (I used a locally made fresh salsa)
- juice from 2 limes
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- sour cream
- fresh tomatoes
- whatever else you like on carnitas!
- Put all the ingredients into your dutch oven or crock pot. If using the dutch oven, place coals all around it and on top and let cook until falling apart, about 2-3 hours, if using the crockpot also add all the ingredients to the crockpot and cook on low for 10 hours (can do 8 but it pulls nicer with 10 hours).
- If you cooked it in the dutch oven and are already camping, go ahead and chow.
- If you chose the crockpot ahead of time, bag it up and refrigerate. There are a couple ways to reheat this. My dad is a huge fan of vacuum sealing pulled pork and then to reheat, just put the bag into a pot of boiling water until heated through. Works great, but if you don't have a vacuum sealer you can do this with a ziptop baggy or you can just put the pulled pork into a fry pan and heat it over medium heat.