Ok so I am a couple days late on posting my camp food recipe – sorry about that! Just how things worked out around here…
Never the less, here it is.
Have you ever heard of Queso Fundido? I hadn’t but I am so glad I have now!
Obviously, it has cheese in it. Queso…I don’t know any spanish but I know that one! Isn’t cheese so amazing? I just love it. I have been learning to make my own over the last couple years and am slowly but surely getting the hang of it. So I actually used my homemade mozzarella to make this.
You can serve this as a side dish or a main or a snack or an appetizer, seriously this can be whatever you want. It was really easy to make (and I made a couple adjustments to make it even easier!) so if everyone gets back from a hard hike or something and needs food but you aren’t ready to make a full on meal, this would be perfect.
Plus there is minimal dishes – always a plus when camping!
One thing that is nice to do ahead of time to take camping is to go ahead and dice up all your onions and bell peppers and put them in a large baggy, do the same with any other veggies that you will use often while camping, that way you save yourself some time!
- ½ pound Hot Breakfast Sausage or Chorizo (if you have a bunch of kids who don't like spicy you can use regular sausage)
- 1 whole Medium Onion, Finely Diced
- 2 whole SMALL Bell Peppers (any Color Combination), Seeded And Finely Diced
- 3 garlic cloves or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 pound Monterey Jack, Grated (I used half mozzarella and half cheddar), Grated
- 3 whole Roma Tomatoes, Diced
- ¼ cup Cilantro, Chopped
- Tortilla Chips For Serving
- Heat a 10" skillet over medium-high heat, add the sausage, onions, bell pepper and garlic cook, breaking up the sausage as you go, until the sausage is browned and the onions are softened.
- Stir in the chili powder and cumin.
- Remove the pan from heat and take out about half the sausage mixture from the pan. Sprinkle in half the cheese, top with the remaining sausage mixture and top that with the rest of the cheese.
- Cover it and heat over low heat until the cheese is all melty, about 4-5 minutes.
- Take the lid off and top with tomatoes and cilantro and serve immediately!