The first time I made these delightful little tartlets was when my sister, Rachel had her oldest son, Christopher. I took dinner to her and her husband, Matt when they got home from the hospital.
Usually when I take dinner to people I try to take a dessert as well. Knowing they both loved lemon flavored things I decided to try these out on them.
When they had their second son, Sam barely more than a year later, I had moved to the other side of the country and Matt’s biggest concern about Sam’s arrival was how the heck I was going to get those lemon tarts all the from Ohio to Washington.
That’s how in love with them he was.
So whenever I see Matt we usually end up making some kind of dessert involving lemon curd. It’s kind of our thing…
These are not super difficult to make, you just need to plan ahead so the lemon curd has time to cool. I typically make it the day before and this version of lemon curd is very simple and that makes the whole thing just wonderfully easy!
FOR THE LEMON CURD
- ½ cup butter
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice (do NOT use the bottled stuff!!!)
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 5 eggs, beaten
FOR THE SHORTBREAD CRUST
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ¾ cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup whipped cream
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Once the butter has melted, all the lemon zest, juice and sugar. Cook and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Whisking constantly, slowly add the beaten eggs.
- Return to heat and cook until thick and bubbly, about 10-15 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature and store covered in the fridge.
TO MAKE THE CRUST
- Prepare a cupcake pan by lining with cupcake papers and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the flour and sugar by pulsing a couple times.
- Add the butter and pulse until crumbly.
- Add the eggs and again pulse until course crumbs form.
- place a little of the mixture into each cupcake mold and press the mixture with your fingers.
- Bake at 375º for about 10 minutes or until edges are just starting to turn golden.
TO ASSEMBLE THE TARTLETS
- Scoop a generous helping of lemon curd into each crust.
- Top with whipped cream.
Thanks for the amazing recipe: A Romance with Baking, Cookbook