Crazy Easy Artisan Bread!
Recipe By: Megan
Recipe type: Yeast Bread
Serves: makes about 4 loaves
- 3 cups lukewarm water
- 1½ tablespoons yeast
- 1½ tablespoons kosher salt
- 6½ cups unsifted, unbleached, all-purpose white flour
- cornmeal or other flour for dusting
- In your large tub or whatever you plan to store the dough in, place all the ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until the dough is homogenous. You may need to get in there with your hands a bit to break things up. The dough should be just moist enough to ooze to the sides of the container when you let it sit for a second.
- Cover and let sit at room temperature for about 2 hours. The dough is ready at this point but is easier to handle after it has been in the fridge.
- After 2 hours move the tub to the fridge where it can stay for up to a week.
- When you are ready to bake a loaf, simply grab your tub of dough and with well floured hands cut off a hunk about the size of a grapefruit.
- Shape the loaf into a ball or oblong loaf, you will need to keep your hands well floured.
- Place the shaped loaf on a non-rimmed pan or pizza peel with lots of flour or cornmeal to keep it from sticking. Put the tub of dough back in the fridge.
- Allow the shaped loaf to sit at room temperature for about 40 minutes, it does not need to be covered.
- About 20 minutes before baking, preheat your oven (with a baking stone in it) to 450˚. Also place a broiler pan on another rack below the stone.
- When the oven is ready, liberally flour the top of the loaf and use a knife to slash the top of the loaf.
- Open the oven and carefully slide the loaf onto the baking stone. The book says to just sort of jerk the loaf off the pizza peel, but I have not successfully done that yet (I keep trying though!) so I just use my dough scraper or a large spatula to sort of slide the dough off.
- Once the dough is on the stone, pour a glass of water into the boiler pan and quickly shut the oven door to keep that steam in the oven.
- Bake the loaf about 30 minutes or until the crust is a deep, golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let rest until cool.