Dark Chocolate Almond Granola
Recipe By: Megan
Recipe type: Breakfast, Grain
Serves: makes about 6 cups granola
- 6 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup toffee bits
- ⅔ cup dark chocolate chunks or chips
- 3 tablespoon chia seeds (optional but that's the nice crunch I was talking about - most health food stores with a bulk section carry them)
- Preheat your oven to 300˚ get a rimmed baking sheet out and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats and almonds.
- In another small mixing bowl, combine the cocoa powder, honey and vanilla, stir until smooth.
- Pour the cocoa mixture over the oats and use your hands to thoroughly combine, until the oats are evenly coated with the mixture.
- Dump the oat mixture onto the rimmed baking sheet and spread out evenly.
- Place the tray in the oven and set a timer for 10 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, use a spoon or spatula to toss the oat mixture around and spread it around evenly again. Close the oven and set the timer for another 10 minutes. Toss again and set timer for 5 minutes at a time after that, keep tossing and rearranging and keep a close eye on it and once it feels like it's getting fairly dry, remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Once cool, add the chocolate, toffee bits and chia seeds and store in an air tight container.