Peanut butter and granola? Yes, and it’s delicious.
I made a granola recipe a few months ago without the use of refined sugar and I loved it. I took it camping and all the adults who tried it loved it and asked for the recipe. Unfortunately my kids were not so into it.
They liked it if I put it in yogurt and smothered it in honey but just eating it with milk, not so much. Unless it was drizzled with an extra serving of honey.
I decided I needed to come up with a healthy granola the kids really loved.
With that, this granola was born.
It has a wonderfully peanut buttery flavor with a mild sweetness to it. My kids helped me make it and taste test as went along and once we all approved the flavor, into the oven it went. As soon as it was done, they attacked. They love granola. It is one of our main snacks and a very popular breakfast at our house.
Over the course of the next couple days, they ate nearly all of the granola and I barely had a chance to try any before it was gone.
- 4 cups old fashioned rolls oats
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup natural, no sugar added, peanut butter
- 1 cup natural, no sugar added, apple sauce
- 1 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325˚.
- Place the oats and nuts in a large mixing bowl and toss to combine.
- In another medium mixing bowl combine the peanut butter, applesauce, honey and vanilla extract.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture over the oats and use your hands to mix it evenly into the oats. Once the oats are evenly coated in the peanut butter mixture, pour it onto two rimmed baking sheets and spread out in an even layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes, use a spoon to toss the granola and bake another 10 minutes, continue tossing and baking until the mixture is fairly dry. Once it is closer to being dry, you may need to toss every 3-5 minutes to keep from burning.
- Once it is brown and slightly crispy, remove from the oven and cool on the baking sheet. Store in an air tight container.
Latest posts by Megan (see all)
- How To Get More Vegetables Into Breakfast - April 27, 2015
- Espresso Velvet Cupcakes with White Chocolate Mousse and Candied Lemon Peel - April 24, 2015
- Easy Coconut Thai Fish - April 22, 2015