Chocolate Funny Cake-Pie
To adjust for high altitude I added a ¼ cup milk and baked at 300˚
Recipe By: Megan
Recipe type: Dessert, Cake/Pie
- 1 - 9" pastry shell (use your favorite recipe or mine: Grandma's Pie Crust
FOR THE CHOCOLATE
- ½ cup water
- 2oz chocolate (I used chocolate chips)
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
FOR THE CAKE
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1¼ cup sifted cake flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup butter, soft
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- Preheat your oven to 350˚.
- Roll out the pie crust and place in a 9" pie plate, set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the water and chocolate, stirring until the chocolate is melted.
- Add the sugar and, stirring constantly, bring to a boil. Remove from and stir in the butter and vanilla, set aside.
FOR THE CAKE
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt (if you do not have an electric mixer, no worries, just use a bowl and spoon).
- Add the milk, butter and vanilla and the egg and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes (if doing it by hand - 200 strokes).
- Add the walnuts and beat for 1 more minute or 100 more strokes.
- Pour the batter into the pie shell.
- Stir the chocolate sauce and then carefully drizzle it all over the batter. It will sort of sink into it and that's what you're going for.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Serve warm and topped with whipped cream.