It’s Wednesday again, so time for a cake recipe I am so excited about this week’s cake because this is one of the recipes I was dying to make when I first went through the vintage cake book I am baking my way through.
If you haven’t read about my cake baking extravaganza, check it out here.
I mean how can a cake called a ‘Meltaway Cream’ cake not be amazing? Right?
This cake was so airy and light you would not have believed it was from scratch, except it had a nicer crumb and none of that nasty boxed cake flavor. Nope. The flavor was perfection.
The recipe didn’t have a recommended frosting so I filled it with pink buttercream and covered it with a fudgy sour cream frosting that was to die for. Everyone loved it.
I couldn’t stop eating it.
I actually made this lovely little cake for my daughter’s 1st birthday last saturday, one less cake I have to bake you know? Plus little girls should always have a chocolate cake for their first birthday. It’s just a rule in my book.
It’s so fun to see 1 year olds dig into a big piece of chocolate cake and just get it everywhere.
I was thinking it was just going to be our family having cake but we ended up inviting another family over to share in the festivities and I should have made a larger cake. I went with my favorite 6″ round cake but the recipe called for 8″ round and there was enough batter it could have made a nice one but I just made an extra 6″ layer and my hubby and I ate the night before after the kids went to bed. It was really good.
OH and I have to tell you about the decorations on the cake. As you can see I went with pink piping. I don’t know if you noticed the pink cats hidden in the piping. My older daughter, Juliette, loves cats and when I was pregnant with Scarlett she really wanted a sister. I was SURE I was having another boy (we didn’t find out ahead of time, this was just a blind, pregnant guess) and in trying to console her one night I told her if she didn’t get a sister, I would get her a kitty.
Well she ended up with the sister.
And we call her, “Princess Kitty-Cat.”
My 3 year old, Christian, insists she be called, “Princess Kitty-Cat with A Crown On.”
So Juliette thought it appropriate to make her cake with kitties and crowns. I don’t think this is exactly what she was envisioning, but she was happy with the results.
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup dark cocoa
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 3 egg whites
- ½ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
FOR THE SOUR CREAM FROSTING
- 12oz package dark chocolate
- ¾ cup butter
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1lb sifted powdered sugar
- Place the bowl of your mixer and whisk attachment, in the fridge to chill it.
- Preheat your oven to 350˚. Prepare your cake pans, I used 6" and it made 3 layers but the recipe called for 8" pans. To prepare them, smear butter all over the pan and the dust it with cocoa powder, tapping out the excess. Set pans aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- Then using the chilled bowl and whisk, beat the whipping cream until soft peaks form.
- Using a clean beater, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form and then gently fold the whites into the whipped cream.
- Sift the dry ingredients over this mixture in fourths, carefully folding in alternately with a mixture of the ½ cup milk and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
FOR THE SOUR CREAM FROSTING
- In a small saucepan over low heat, carefully melt the chocolate and one stick of butter. Set aside to cool for about 20 minutes.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter on high for 7 minutes.
- Turn the mixer to low and add the sour cream and powdered sugar. Once incorporated, add the chocolate mixture and beat until smooth and homogenized.
- Then frost your cake!
Latest posts by Megan (see all)
- Double Chocolate Coconut Muffin-In-A-Mug (grain and sugar free) - May 22, 2015
- Easy Roasted Parmesan Broccoli - May 11, 2015
- Lemon Rose Scented Cupcakes - May 8, 2015