Chard, Lentil and Potato Soup with Sausage
Recipe By: Megan
Recipe type: Dinner, Soup
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound sausage
- 1 large bunch Swiss chard, leaves torn into bite-sized pieces and stems sliced
- 1 c. dried brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery, chard stem pieces and carrots and saute just until fragrant.
- Add the sausage and break it up with a spoon, my favorite utensil is the Pampered Chef Mix n' Chop, you can really get the meat into nice small bits.
- Once the sausage is mostly cooked through and no pink remains, stir in the lentils and the potatoes.
- Add the broth, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and cover.
- Simmer until lentils and potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Once the potatoes and lentils are cooked, add the leaves of the chard and stir around until the leaves are wilted.
- Serve hot.