Italian Meatballs and Spaghetti
Recipe By: Megan
Recipe type: Dinner
- 1 pound spaghetti noodles
- extra virgin olive oil
FOR THE MEATBALLS
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
FOR THE SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 - 14oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 - 14oz cans diced tomatoes1/4 cup fresh basil, minced or 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
TO MAKE THE MEATBALLS
- Place all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and use your hands to mix together.
- Using a 2 tablespoon scoop, scoop the meatballs out onto a tray and set aside.
TO MAKE THE SAUCE
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot add the onion and sauté until just starting to soften, then add the garlic and saute another minute.
- Add the crushed and diced tomatoes, basil and salt.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce so they are in a single layer and covered with sauce. Bring to a boil, once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 3 hours.
- Once you are getting close to the sauce being done, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add your spaghetti noodles, cook according to package directions.
- Place desired amount of noodles in a bowl or on a plate and top with meatballs and sauce and some parmesan cheese.
TO MAKE THIS A FREEZER MEAL
- Make the meatball mixture and scoop them out onto a baking sheet and freeze them on the sheet so they do not stick together. Then place the meatballs into a freezer bag and you can pull out what you need.
- You can also make and then freeze the sauce.
- To thaw, place the sauce and meatballs in the crock pot on low for 8 hours.