Whole Wheat Bread
I like to grind my bread flour with my grinder dial set to halfway between the bread and pastry setting and I end up using 7 cups of that. My sister in law uses fresh flour she gets from a mill and uses only 5 cups so you have to play around with it and see what works for you.
Recipe By: Megan
Recipe type: Bread
Serves: makes 2 loaves
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- ⅓ cup honey
- ⅓ cup olive or coconut oil
- ⅓ cup gluten flour
- 5-7 cups hard red wheat bread flour
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine all the ingredients except the flour.
- Turn the mixer on the low setting and start adding flour one cup at a time, until the dough starts to pull away from the edges and is thick enough to touch with out it totally sticking all over your finger but should still be tacky. This is the trickiest part of bread making, determining when the dough has enough flour, it comes with practice.
- Once the dough is the right consistency, knead for 10 minutes on the second speed if you are using a KitchenAid mixer. I think if you are using a Bosch a) I am jealous and b) maybe a lower speed?
- After 10 minutes, turn the mixer off and cover bowl with a tea towel and allow to rise in a warm spot. In the winter I often turn my oven to the lowest temperature while I am making the bread and then turn it off and let the dough rise in the there - no need to cover if you do this.
- Allow to rise until doubled, about 2 hours (I am high altitude where dough rises very quickly so I usually only need about 45 minutes).
- Once doubled punch the dough down.
- Butter or oil your bread pans and divide the dough in half. Shape into loaves and place in bread pans. Cover with a towel and allow to rise again until doubled, for me this usually takes about 20 minutes, if you are at sea level allow for another hour.
- Preheat your oven to 325˚.
- Once the dough is doubled and your oven is hot, bake for about 30-40 minutes, until it is nicely brown all over and makes a nice hollow sound when you thump it.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan about 10 minutes and then remove from the pan and place on a wire rack to cool.