What could be more fun than making ANYTHING into funfetti? We’ve been playing around with it a lot around here but I was still a little surprised when my lovely 6 year old, Linus, requested Funfetti Pancakes to be put on the breakfast menu.
I thought it was an excellent idea.
Today was the day! I have to say, they turned out pretty fantastic. I used another favorite pancake recipe that just seemed like it would be the perfect fit, made a few adjustments and bam, there you go. It was great.
The other amazing thing I found the other day (Thank you Pinterest!) was a recipe for this vanilla pancake topping – oh yes – yum! It’s pretty much a homemade vanilla pudding sauce. Combine that with some strawberries and coconut pancakes and you have a little piece of heaven on your plate.
FOR THE PANCAKES
- 1½ cups freshly ground whole wheat pastry flour (you can use all-purpose flour and eliminate the gluten flour)
- 2 tablespoons gluten flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 14 oz. can light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup colored jimmie sprinkles
FOR THE VANILLA SAUCE
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
TO MAKE THE PANCAKES
- Preheat your griddle or large skillet over medium heat.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, coconut and salt in a medium bowl.
- In another medium bowl, combine the coconut milk, egg and melted butter.
- Add the coconut milk mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Fold in the sprinkles
- Using a ¼ cup scoop, scoop batter onto the griddle or pan. Cook until bubbly on top and slightly brown on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Turn and cook other side until golden, about 2 more minutes.
TO MAKE THE SAUCE
- Combine the cornstarch, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan - not over heat quite yet.
- Then combine the egg yolks with the milk.
- Now place the saucepan over medium heat and slowly pour in the milk mixture. Do NOT heat it over high heat or you may cook the eggs - blech, that would be gross and you would have to start all over.
- Stir constantly until the sauce is bubbly and thickened.
- Remove from heat and add the butter and vanilla.
Pancake recipe adapted from: http://www.thiscantbevegan.com
Sauce recipe found at: http://www.creationsbykara.com