Deep, Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
Recipe By: Megan
Recipe type: Dessert
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup (1½ oz) Dutch-processed cocoa (honestly though I have made it with the hershey’s dark chocolate cocoa powder and they turned out fine)
- ¾ cup (3¾ oz) unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup (5¼ oz) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- ½ cup (4 oz) sour cream
- Preheat your oven to 350˚. Line a muffin pan with papers and set aside.
- Combine the butter, bittersweet chocolate and cocoa powder in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Stir until chocolate and butter are melted and smooth. Remove from over the water and set aside and allow to cool a bit while you combine the other ingredients.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt until fluffy.
- Add the chocolate mixture.
- Add about ⅓ of the flour mixture, then the sour cream and then the rest of the flour mixture.
- Divide the batter evenly into the muffin pan cups and bake about 18-20 minutes. Until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool about 10-15 in the pan and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.