If you have had lemon curd before then you know the sweet deliciousness of it. The addicting flavor of tart lemon blended with lots of butter and sugar, yummmmmmmm. I could eat it all day, every day for the rest of my life and be completely happy.
I might miss chocolate…and the occasional pork chop….
I have a difficult time choosing between lemon desserts and chocolate. I love them both. Lemon curd can be used for many different things. You can put it on toast, crepes or pancakes, make little tarts, put it on cheesecake or make this super easy trifle among many other wonderful and deliciously, scrumptious things.
Whatever you do with it lemon curd always promises to be amazing.
It’s not difficult to make, it doesn’t take long, maybe 15 minutes? Of course that’s plus cooling time, but that doesn’t really require your involvement. You just need to make sure to account for that when you go to make it if it needs to be cool before you use it.
There are many different variations of the same basic recipe out there, I find they pretty much all taste the same and this is the simplest one I have come across so that makes it my favorite.
- ½ cup butter
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice (do NOT use the bottled stuff!!!)
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 5 whole eggs, beaten
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Once the butter has melted, all the lemon zest, juice and sugar. Cook and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Whisking constantly, slowly add the beaten eggs.
- Return to heat and cook until thick and bubbly, about 10-15 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature and store covered in the fridge.
Thanks for the recipe: A Romance with Baking