I have been trying lots of different homemade frozen yogurt recipes lately and they always seem to come out tasting, well, like yogurt.
You know that tangy, yogurty flavor?
Really not what I was looking for.
I wanted it to be like when you go to one of those frozen yogurt places and it tastes creamy and delicious with just a hint of yogurt flavor.
Well, I don’t know how those places do it but I found my own way and it was pretty stink in’ good. In fact, I have enjoyed it so much that I am purposely saving a little bit of it for during or after labor. Since I am doing a home birth this time around I get to have whatever snacks I want and I have a feeling this might just hit the spot.
I used homemade yogurt for this but you can certainly use store bought if you prefer. I happened to have a bunch of homemade yogurt that I didn’t really want to eat because it came out really runny due to me forgetting about the milk after I had heated it but before adding the culture. I knew I wouldn’t likely use a half gallon of yogurt for cooking before it went bad (especially considering I haven’t been cooking much being SO pregnant) I figured, hey, why not use it for frozen yogurt?
So here it goes,
- half gallon yogurt (here's the recipe for homemade)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Heat the heavy cream till just before boiling.
- Add the sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Add the vanilla extract and remove from heat, allow to cool to room temperature.
- Once the sugar mixture is cool, whisk it into the yogurt.
- Place in your ice cream machine and run according to manufacturers instructions.
- Once thick and frozen you can serve or put it in individual containers and freeze until ready to eat. It actually stays pretty soft even after being in the freezer for a couple weeks.
Latest posts by Megan (see all)
- Homesteading Series: Starting Up A 3-4 Year Homestead - April 20, 2015
- Orange Scented Angel Food CupCakes with Blackberry Swiss Merengue Buttercream - April 17, 2015
- The Easiest Homemade Mayonnaise Ever - April 15, 2015