My lovely child, Linus, is obsessed with pancakes.
So I make them a lot if you haven’t noticed.
And I get bored with them.
That’s why you see a few different ones here at Foods of Our Lives. I need variety, and Linus doesn’t seem to notice if I make them healthy or different so long as they have his beloved maple syrup on them so I change it up a lot.
These are practically like having a slice of carrot cake for breakfast, but not quite. They just the perfect balance of breakfasty texture and flavor that you want them to be. Not to sweet or heavy, especially since the cream cheese glaze is a glaze and not a thick frosting like you would have on a cake. Seriously, they couldn’t be any better AND they really are pretty healthy too! Wahoo!
Gotta love it!
- FOR THE PANCAKES:
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I used fresh ground white wheat pastry flour but you can use white flour or store bought whole wheat or I would imagine coconut flour would work as well)
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cups finely grated carrots
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped toasted pecans, optional
FOR THE GLAZE:
- 4 Tablespoons cream cheese at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 4 teaspoons powdered sugar
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- In another medium mixing bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg white and vanilla extract, combine with the dry ingredients and then add in the shredded carrots. If you are going to add the nuts and/or raisins now is the time to gently fold them into the batter (I didn't use them and I was quite pleased with my results).
- Set aside and let rest while the pan heats.
- Heat a griddle or large pan over medium heat with a little butter to keep the pancakes from sticking.
- Place ¼ cup of batter on griddle to make one pancake, repeat with remaining batter until you have 8 pancakes (you'll likely have to do batches - my griddle hold 6 pancakes at a time).
- When the pancakes are no longer glossy on top and have some big bubbles, flip over and cook the other side (or until golden brown).
- Remove from the griddle and serve with Cream Cheese Glaze!
- TO MAKE THE GLAZE
- Combine the room temperature cream cheese with the milk and powdered sugar and stir until smooth.
- Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy (as Linus would say)....
Thanks SO much for the lovely recipe that I slightly adapted this from: http://www.healthyfoodforliving.com
Latest posts by Megan (see all)
- Homesteading Series: Starting Up A 3-4 Year Homestead - April 20, 2015
- Orange Scented Angel Food CupCakes with Blackberry Swiss Merengue Buttercream - April 17, 2015
- The Easiest Homemade Mayonnaise Ever - April 15, 2015