Oh how I love ice cream.
And here we are with ice cream season upon us: Summer!
My kids just out of school for the summer today and I’m making some ice cream.
This is a recipe I made a while back and figured I should revisit because despite Nutella being super unhealthy it is loved by all.
Mmmmmm, wonderful Nutella….
Combined with creamy delicious ice cream, you simply can’t go wrong.
Homemade ice cream, in my opinion, is best eaten immediately after the ice cream maker is done with it. When it’s still soft and a little melty if you don’t eat it fast enough, now that is perfection when it comes to ice cream.
You can certainly freeze this and eat it later, we didn’t finish the entire batch when I made it so I stuck in the freezer and it was still really good the next day.
- 2¼ cups whole milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Nutella
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat (or if you are like me and your gas oven was leaking gas and had to be turned off so you have no stove you can just heat it in the microwave for about 1 minute) heat 1 cup of the milk so that bubbles appear around the edges, then remove from heat.
- In a food processor combine the egg yolks, salt and brown sugar and run the processor until light and fluffy.
- Then, with the food processor still running, slowly drizzle the warm milk into the egg mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and then stir in the rest of the milk and the heavy cream.
- Place in the fridge to chill, about half an hour.
- Once cold, pour the mixture into your ice cream machine and run according to manufacturers instructions.
- Once the ice cream machine is done and the ice cream is frozen but still soft, fold the Nutella into the ice cream with a large spatula or spoon.
- Serve immediately!