I have made red salsas many, many times but I have never made a green salsa - until now!
I never thought about it for some reason. This is a super tasty recipe and it was VERY easy. The hardest part was roasting the tomatillos - and that wasn't hard.
I love green salsa, it just has a earthy different flavor than a red salsa. I use this recipe to cook carnitas in the crockpot and they are amazing. I got both recipes from Simply Recipes a couple years ago and I have been making them ever since.
It is my favorite recipe to serve to guests coming into town since you make it early in the day and it will keep nicely in the crock pot until they get here. Since our family is only a couple states away now they have been driving to our house rather than flying so you aren't ever really sure when they are going to get there.
This salsa is the key ingredient in the carnitas which are also incredibly easy to make, but the salsa is amazing all on it's own.
Homemade Salsa Verde
Recipe By: Megan
Recipe type: Appetizer
Serves: makes about 3 cups
- 1½ lb tomatillos (about 20)
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 2 Jalapeño peppers OR 2 serrano peppers, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- Salt to taste
- First you need to decide if you are going to roast or boil the tomatillos. Roasting will deliver more flavor so that's what I did but I will give you both instructions
- Either way you need to pull the little papery husk off the tomatillos (and slice each one in half if you are going to roast).
- To roast: Heat the broiler up and place the cut tomatillos, cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment. Broil until the skin is browned and the tomatillos are soft, about 5-7 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- To boil: Place the husked tomatillos in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil for about 5 minutes, remove from water with a slotted spoon.
- Place the tomatillos and all the other ingredients in a food processor, pulse until everything is chopped and combined, adjust seasoning to taste. Place in the fridge to chill for at least an hour before serving.