It might not look like much, but goodness this is a tasty one!
When I had our youngest child, Christian, my friend Sheri not only watched my other two kids for two days for us but she made us a ton of food.
Sheri is an amazing cook and I had to get the recipes. This was one of the things she made for us and Jeremiah and I couldn’t keep out of it. The best part is it is so easy to throw together so it is one that I keep all the ingredients on hand at all times in case I find out about someone needing a meal last minute.
You pretty much cook some chicken and throw the rest of the ingredients in a bowl, mix and dump into a casserole dish (I also always try to keep disposable ones of those hand for the same purpose). I usually just cover with foil and then write the baking instructions on that.
Note: Originally this recipe called for 1 10oz can, cream of chicken soup in the sauce but I just leave that out and it totally works.
- 6oz package wild rice mix
- 4 cups cooked and cubed chicken
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- 1 5oz can water chestnuts, sliced
- 1 4oz can mushrooms, drained
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1½ cups toasted bread crumbs
- ½ cup melted butter
- Heat the oven to 350º.
- Cook Rice according to package instructions.
- In a large mixing bowl combine chicken, celery, onions, water chestnuts and mushrooms.
- Once the rice is cooked add that to the chicken mixture and stir to combine.
- Next add the chicken broth and soy sauce and stir until everything is evenly coated and then dump into a casserole dish and spread into a even layer.
- Then make the topping by tossing the stuffing mix with the butter until coated and then evenly spread over the top of the chicken mixture.
- Bake about 30 minutes or just until warmed through.
TO MAKE THIS A FREEZER MEAL
- Make it as instructed above, but rather than place it in a normal baking dish, you can place it in a foil one, cover and freeze it. I like to go ahead and write the instructions on the top with a sharpie so if someone comes along and makes a meal out of the freezer, they don't have to figure anything out.
- Thaw for about 2-3 hours on the counter and then bake at 350˚ until heated through, about 45 minutes.
#wildriceandchickencasserole #easycasserolerecipe #chickencasserole