Cranberry and Toasted Almond Scones
Recipe By: Megan
Serves: makes 12 small scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup cold butter
- ½ cup fresh cranberries
- ⅔-3/4 cup whole milk
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place rack in middle of oven. Butter or line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, pulse the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter into small pieces and pulse into the flour mixture. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs.
- Add the cranberries and pulse a few more times until the cranberries are chopped. Add the milk and stir until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead the dough four or five times and then pat, or roll, the dough into a rough square, trim the sides so that it is a square and slice into 6 small squares and then cut each square into two triangles. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and then brush the top of the scones with milk or cream. Sprinkle with sugar and sliced almonds.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of a scone comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- If desired, serve with Devonshire Cream and/or your favorite jam.