Brined and Roasted Turkey Breast with Classic Sage Stuffing
Recipe By: Megan
Recipe type: Main
FOR THE TURKEY
- 4 quarts HOT water
- 2 cups kosher salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- a turkey breast, mine was about 4lbs
FOR THE STUFFING
- 1 loaf whole grain bread
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 large eggs
- About 10 hours before you want to start cooking, combine the hot water, salt, thyme and sugar and stir until dissolved. Allow to cool at least to room temperature, I usually put it in the fridge to help speed the process.
- Place the turkey breast into a large pot and pour the brine over it, stick it in the fridge and allow it to soak for 4-6 hours.
- Remove from the brine, rinse and pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- To prepare the stuffing melt the butter in a medium fry pan, add the onions and celery and cook until soft, then add the parsley. Put the stuffing into a large mixing bowl and add the sage, thyme, salt and pepper. Dump in the cooked veggies and toss until mixed. Crack in the eggs and break them up with a spoon then add the broth and stir until completely coated.
- Stuff into the cavity of the breast and the neck and put the remaining stuffing into a baking dish and cover with foil.
- Put the turkey into a roasting dish and baste with olive oil.
- Cover and roast, basting every 20 minutes until a meat thermometer inserted reaches 165º about 1¼ hours.
- About 20 minutes before it’s going to be done remove the cover so the skin can brown and put the small dish of stuffing in to cook.