Arroz Con Pollo
Recipe By: Megan
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1½ tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 3 whole chicken breasts with skin and bones
- 2 large yellow onions, thickly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 pound whole crimini or white mushrooms
- ¼ teaspoon saffron
- 2 cups long grain rice (I use brown)
- 4 cups chicken stock (When using brown rice you may need more stock)
- 1 cans diced tomatoes in juice
- Combine 2 tablespoons of the oil with the paprika, oregano, cumin, cayenne and salt and pepper to make a rub. Rub all over the chicken and allow to rest while you chop everything.
- Once you have sliced and diced everything heat a large dutch oven or stock pot over medium high heat with the remaining oil. Brown the chicken on both sides and then add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil and then cover and reduce heat to medium.
- Cook until rice is soft and cooked through. (If using brown rice, this takes about 30 minutes, if white rice then 15)
- Remove the chicken and either shred or dice it and add it back to the pot.
- Serve with tortillas and cheddar cheese melted over the top.