I am in love.
I have made this many times since I first posted it and it is always a huge hit. I usually put it in a huge pasta bowl in the middle of the table and let people just take as much as they want.
I totally followed the recipe I found as far as what to put in it, but I cut about an hour off the cook time by skipping a bunch of stuff like baking it and letting the chicken rest with salt and pepper on it, bla bla bla…
So instead of taking like 45 minutes to prep and an hour and a half to actually cook everything, (are you kidding me? Who has time for that?) I think it took me about 45 minutes and that’s including grilling the chicken.
It was delicious.
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, fillet in half
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1lb rigatoni
- 16oz spinach
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup romano cheese, grated
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ cup asiago cheese, grated
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides and grill until cooked through, about 5 minutes each side, set aside.
- Meanwhile bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the rigatoni and cook until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking and the chicken is grilling, make the sauce.
- In a large saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour to make a roux, you want a light colored one so only cook and stir for about 3 minutes. Slowly add the cream, stirring between each addition allowing it to come smooth and thick.
- Next add the milk, again slowly to allow the mixture to thicken between additions.
- Add the garlic, white pepper, cayenne, and salt.
- Next add the sour cream and the three cheeses. Stir until melted and smooth and creamy.
- Drain the pasta once cooked through and put back into the pot, toss the spinach on top of the pasta.
- Slice the chicken up into strips and place on top of the spinach, then pour the sauce over the top of everything.
- Mix around until the spinach wilts and everything is well coated and serve!
- You may as well go ahead and put it in a serving dish on the table because everyone is going to want seconds.