Roasted Vegetable Chicken Noodle Soup
Recipe By: Megan
- 5 carrots, diced or sliced thinly
- 1 whole medium yellow onion, cut into wedges
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, 2 cups leftover chicken or a whole chicken (pretty much anything will work)
- 4 cups water
- 64oz chicken broth
- 1½ tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1½ cups noodles
- Preheat the oven to 400º.
- Place the veggies on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with a generous amount of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper and toss to coat. Roast, tossing about every 7-8 minutes for 20 minutes or until they are starting to bubble and the juices oozing out are starting to brown a little.
- While the veggies are roasting, place the chicken, water and all the leftover bits of veggies (like the ends of the carrots and celery and stuff) in a large stock pot or dutch oven, bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer.
- Once the veggies are roasted remove them from the oven and set aside. Then remove the chicken and veggie pieces from the pot and set aside to cool.
- Add the roasted veggies to the pot, along with the chicken broth, dried thyme and bay leaves. Bring to boil and add the egg noodles, cover, reduce heat and allow to simmer 20 minutes.
- Shred the chicken up and then add too the pot.
- Serve piping hot!
- (P.S. don’t serve your husband the bay leaves - they don’t like that)