Fall is here and with it comes the desire for comfort foods and what better comfort food is there than chicken noodle soup?
We are expecting our first snow this week (just a little, but still, it’ll be chilly) and I just thought I needed to have some soup with fresh rolls. Chicken noodle soup is so simple and delicious and I pretty much always have what I need on hand to make it, so it’s an easy go to meal for a cold fall or winter day.
I decided to roast the vegetables first to bring out some of those rustic flavors and I’m very glad I did. It was delicious. I always like to use my homemade stock for soups, you can see in the picture how much darker it is than a store-bought stock and with that dark color comes rich flavor and those amazing nutrients that help us to stay healthy. I typically simmer my stock for at least 48 hours, it is a simple thing to do and makes your house smell amazing. I just freeze or can it when it is done and then I have it on hand for soups.
I like to pair this with homemade rolls which I make from Andrea’s Whole Wheat Bread dough, there is no better combination.
- 5 carrots, diced or sliced thinly
- 1 whole medium yellow onion, cut into wedges
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, 2 cups leftover chicken or a whole chicken (pretty much anything will work)
- 4 cups water
- 64oz chicken broth
- 1½ tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1½ cups noodles
- Preheat the oven to 400º.
- Place the veggies on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with a generous amount of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper and toss to coat. Roast, tossing about every 7-8 minutes for 20 minutes or until they are starting to bubble and the juices oozing out are starting to brown a little.
- While the veggies are roasting, place the chicken, water and all the leftover bits of veggies (like the ends of the carrots and celery and stuff) in a large stock pot or dutch oven, bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer.
- Once the veggies are roasted remove them from the oven and set aside. Then remove the chicken and veggie pieces from the pot and set aside to cool.
- Add the roasted veggies to the pot, along with the chicken broth, dried thyme and bay leaves. Bring to boil and add the egg noodles, cover, reduce heat and allow to simmer 20 minutes.
- Shred the chicken up and then add too the pot.
- Serve piping hot!
- (P.S. don’t serve your husband the bay leaves - they don’t like that)
Latest posts by Megan (see all)
- Healthy-Yet-Completely-Amazing Dark Chocolate Cupcakes - July 3, 2015
- Double Chocolate Coconut Muffin-In-A-Mug (grain and sugar free) - May 22, 2015
- Easy Roasted Parmesan Broccoli - May 11, 2015