Blueberry Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce
Recipe By: Megan
Recipe type: Breakfast
FOR THE SAUCE
- 4 cups blueberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup maple syrup
FOR THE PANCAKES
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 eggs
- 1¼ cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- butter for the pan
- To make the sauce, combine the lemon zest and blueberries in a medium saucepan over medium heat. The blueberries will start to give off their juices so you don’t need to add any liquid to the pan. Just make sure to stir them often so they don’t burn.
- Cook them until all the juices are released, about 7-8 minutes.
- Then press through a sieve to remove the pulp, make sure to press all the juice out. Put the juice into a clean sauce pan and add the maple syrup, cook, stirring often until thick and syrupy, about 10 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt, whisk to combine.
- In another small bowl combine the egg, buttermilk and melted butter. Add to the flour mixture and stir until mostly smooth.
- Heat a griddle or large skillet to medium, spray with cooking spray and drop about ¼ cup of batter at a time onto the griddle to make the pancakes. Add the blueberries to each pancake.
- Allow to cook until slightly brown on one side, then flip over and brown the other side.
- To serve place 2 pancakes on a plate, top with syrup and whip cream if desired.