Marbled Pound Cake
Recipe By: Megan
Serves: makes 2 loaves
- ¾ cup bittersweet chocolate
- 3½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups butter (yup, that’s why it’s good)
- 2¼ cups sugar
- 9 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375º.
- Prepare two 9” loaf pans buy brushing with soft butter and then coating with flour, shake out any excess. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate over very low heat just until melted and then set aside to cool.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a mixer with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy (I did end up using my food processor for this part).
- Add the eggs in 3-4 additions, mixing in between additions, scrape down the bowl between additions. (this I did by hand with a VERY large scraper)
- Add the vanilla.
- Stir in the flour mixture until well combined and smooth.
- Add half the batter to the chocolate and stir until completely combined.
- Gently fold the chocolate batter into the plain just a tiny bit to get the swirls.
- Divide the batter, evenly, between the two loaf pans filling them about ¾ of the way full.
- Bake about 15 minutes, just until the batter starts to form a bit of a skin on the top, then with a sharp paring knife cut a slit down the center of each loaf.
- Continue to bake until a a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about another 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pans for 10 minutes and then remove to a wire rack.