I made this pizza quite a long time ago and it was SO good but I never got around to making it again, until now. Sometimes when I go a long time without making something, I find myself wondering if it was really as good as I said it was, yup.
This pizza is super tasty.
Like as in SUPER tasty. Like so good there wasn’t even a piece leftover and I made two pizza’s for our little family. Basically my husband ate the entire pizza. I had 2 pieces, he ate the rest.
My original concoction called for using chicken, leftover if available, but this time I didn’t have any leftover chicken and didn’t feel like going to the trouble of cooking any – actually I didn’t have any chicken to cook – so I just left it out and it really doesn’t need it.
I know, it sounds really basic, and perhaps not that fabulous but let me tell you, this pizza has got some amazing flavor! Plus it came together in a snap. Even making the crust is simple, you could certainly buy dough for the crust, but I promise this is cheaper and super easy.
- FOR THE CRUST
- 1½ cups warm water
- 1½ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1½ teaspoons course sea salt
- 3¼ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup sourdough starter (optional)
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 whole tomato, sliced
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella
- 4 oz smoked gouda (you can substitute an additional 4 oz mozzarella if you prefer but the gouda is delish)
- 1 large leek, sliced and rinsed
- 4 - 5 large crimini mushrooms, sliced
- TO MAKE THE CRUST
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the crust ingredients.
- Stir to combine (should be thick like a biscuit dough and doesn't need to be homogenous).
- Cover and set aside until it doubles in size, about an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 425˚.
- Grease your pizza pan with a bit of olive oil.
- Take about half the dough (depending on how large of a pizza pan you have) and spread it out on the pan, I just use my fingers to press the dough out towards the edges of the pan, make it fairly thin.
- Bake for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and put the toppings on.
TO TOP THE PIZZA
- Drizzle olive oil all over it and then spread it around with a pastry brush.
- Sprinkle sea salt all over.
- Toss on all the toppings so they are pretty evenly spread over the whole pizza.
- Grind a little pepper over the top and bake for about 20 minutes or until nicely browned on the edges and very tops of the cheese.
- Allow to cool for about 5 minutes then slice and serve!