This recipe is one of our family favorites. I have been making it for several years now after searching and searching for the perfect chili recipe. I finally found it in the Nordstrom’s Entertaining at Home Cookbook.
It is simple, it is delicious and you can make it quickly so it’s perfect for a busy evening or after work or you can through it all in the crockpot and have it simmering and ready for guests on a cold winter evening.
Make with ground chicken, turkey or beef, either way I think you will love this recipe!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 whole large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground chicken (you can use chopped up chicken breast also)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 small can diced green chilies
- 2 (14oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (14oz) cans chicken broth
- 2 (14oz) cans black beans (you can use whatever beans you like black just happens to be my favorite)
- fresh cilantro
- Heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook just until it starts to soften. Raise the temperature to medium-high and add the ground chicken. As it cooks stir it and chop it until it is in pretty small chunks. I like to use my handy-dandy mix ‘n’ chop from pampered chef because I can get the meat into very small chunks very easily.
- Once the meat is cooked through add the chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt. Stir until everything is well coated with the spices.
- Add the chilies, tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes (This is when I make my cornbread - it’s the perfect amount of time to mix it).
- Add the beans, cover and simmer another 15 minutes (perfect time to cook the cornbread - one timer!).
- Add fresh, chopped cilantro and serve.
TO MAKE THIS A FREEZER MEAL
- Make it, bag it up and freeze it.
- When you are ready to eat it, simply place the bag in a pot of boiling water for about 45 minutes, or until heated through and serve.