Today is windy and I assume cold. I haven’t been outside to actually check but since it is October I will just trust my instincts on this one. So being what the weather is outside I lit some candles, cleaned my house (sort of) and decided it was the perfect day for grilled cheese and tomato soup.
Of course I don’t have a can on hand but I wanted it bad enough to make some and homemade is SO much tastier and so much healthier, it’s a win-win.
It was so worth it!. The flavor is amazing and I am in love. The kids even gobbled it down – even Linus who swears he hates tomatoes with all his being.
- 1 (14-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup heavy cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with a baking mat.
- Strain the can of tomatoes, reserving the juice and spread the tomatoes on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle a little olive oil, toss to coat. Bake until the tomatoes are fragrant and caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a saucepan. Add the carrot, onion, celery and garlic saute until soft and the onions are translucent.
- Then add the reserved tomato juice, chicken broth, bay leaf, butter and roasted tomatoes. Simmer for about 15 - 20 minutes or until vegetables are very soft.
- Add the basil and cream and blend with a handheld immersion blender or put the mixture into a regular blender, remove the top center and cover with a towel and blend until smooth. I made mine fairly chunky, but if you want it smoother just keep blending.
- Add more salt to taste if necessary and enjoy!
slightly adapted from: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/michael-chiarello/homemade-tomato-soup-recipe/index.html