Looking for something super easy for dinner?
This is IT.
You wont even believe how easy it is and this is not one of those times where I think it’s easy but it really isn’t.
Pretty much throw it in the slow cooker and turn it on.
It’s one of those great meals that is super flexible. You can still get it done even if you forget until after lunch…not that I EVER do that.
That’s actually my biggest problem with crock pot meals, I don’t start thinking about dinner till later in the day and then remember I was supposed to have started it after breakfast – whoops!
This one I have thrown in the crock pot as late as 2pm and still had it for dinner but at the same time, I have put it in first thing in the morning and let it cook for 10 hours and it is still good.
The rice gets a little mushy with the longer cook times but one way I balance that is to wait to add it till later, like say, afternoonish. Is that technical enough for you? Well that’s how I roll…
If you aren’t able to add the rice later, but still don’t want it to get mushy, I would recommend leaving it out and also eliminating the extra chicken broth and just making up a pot of fresh rice before serving. I little more effort but it’s nice to have rice that is cooked properly.
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (these can be completely frozen. I have also used bone-in chicken as well and you do have to pick the bones out after cooking but the chicken is falling apart so its pretty easy, just like to give more options)
- 1 jar of your favorite salsa
- 1 can or 2 cups homemade chicken stock
- 1 or 2 cans of black beans, drained but not rinsed
- 1 cup brown or white rice (optional)
- Your favorite Tortillas or tortilla chips if you want taco salad and this makes a great taco salad
- Your favorite taco toppings, we like avocado, cheese, sour cream, tomatoes etc.
- Throw everything in your crock pot.
- Mix it around.
- Turn on low for 6-8 hours.
- A few minutes before serving I like to go ahead and sprinkle a bunch of grated cheese over the top so it gets all melty.