Caramel Pumpkin Pie
Recipe By: Megan
Recipe type: Dessert, Pie
- ½ recipe of Grandma's Pie Crust with ¼ finely chopped Pecans added
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup plus 3 tablespoons water
- 2 cups heavy cream, room temperature
- 1 (15-oz) can solid-pack pumpkin (not pie filling; a scant 2 cups) or fresh pumpkin
- 1¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Caramel sauce for drizzling
- Make the crust dough according to directions in the recipe above, roll out and place in a pie plate and finish the edges. Set aside.
- Bring sugar and water to a boil in a medium sized saucepan, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Boil syrup, gently swirling pan (do not stir)so it browns evenly, until mixture is a deep golden caramel, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to moderate and carefully and slowly add 1 cup cream (mixture will bubble vigorously), stirring until caramel is dissolved. Stir in remaining cup cream and bring just to a simmer.
- Whisk together pumpkin purée, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk in hot cream mixture, then add eggs, whisking until combined well.
- Pour filling into crust through a sieve and bake until puffed and the center is just set, 55 to 60 minutes. Watch the crust after about 30 minutes, it may start to get to brown and you will need to cover it as it bakes, I usually use foil.
- Cool on a rack, about 2 hours. (Pie will continue to set as it cools.)